Why does The Sprawl call them "memberships" and not "subscriptions"?

With a news subscription, you have to pay in order to access a publication's journalism. We do it the other way around. We make our journalism freely available to everyone—no paywalls—and then invite you to be a part of it by signing up as a Sprawl member and pitching in a few dollars a month.

I'm a member and my credit card expired. How do I update my credit card information?

Here's how to update your credit card in our system:

  1. Log into your Sprawl account. (If this is your first time logging in, click "Having trouble logging in?" to reset your password.)
  2. Go to "Update Credit Card."
  3. If you received an email saying there was an error in processing your donation, click "Pay Now." (If you're updating your info before the expiry date has arrived, click "Edit" and put in your new credit card info—and you're done. You can also choose this option if you'd rather just update your info for the next payment, rather than processing a missed payment.)
  4. Put in your new credit card info and hit "Submit." This will process your missed payment, and update your credit card info for future payments.

That's it! Thanks again for your support.

How do I change or cancel my Sprawl membership?

If you want to change or cancel your Sprawl membership, there are two ways to do it. You can log in and do it yourself, or email us at membership@sprawlcalgary.com and we'll do it for you.

Here's how to do it yourself:

  1. Log into your Sprawl account. (If this is your first time logging in, click "Having trouble logging in?" to reset your password.)
  2. Go to "Update Credit Card."
  3. In the Actions section under Recurring Donation, you can edit the amount of your monthly payment. If you want to cancel your membership, choose "Delete."

Please note that cancelling your membership does not automatically unsubscribe you from our weekly newsletter, Saturday Morning Sprawl. To stop receiving newsletters, click "unsubscribe" at the bottom of the newsletter.

If you run into any trouble or have questions, email us at membership@sprawlcalgary.com and we'll help you out.

I want to support The Sprawl but I don’t have a credit card. Can I use any other forms of payment for my membership?

Here are options for supporting The Sprawl without a credit card:

  • You can sign up to make a monthly donation on Patreon, which accepts PayPal in addition to credit cards.
  • You can make a one-time donation directly through PayPal, which takes many forms of payment.
  • You can send an e-transfer to membership@sprawlcalgary.com.
  • Mail us a cheque at:

The Sprawl
PO Box 31040 Bridgeland
Calgary, AB T2E 9A3

How do I switch my membership from Patreon and U.S. currency?

Here's a guide on how to switch your Sprawl support from Patreon to our newer platform, which defaults to CAD rather than USD and charges us lower fees. When you switch over, more of your contribution goes directly to local journalism.

If you prefer to stay on Patreon, you're welcome to. If you'd like to update your currency from USD to CAD in Patreon, here's how to do it:

  1. On Patreon.com, hover over your avatar in the top right of your screen.
  2. Click Manage Memberships.
  3. From this page, click Edit.
  4. Under Currency, choose your preferred currency.
  5. Click Update to save your settings.

For those outside Canada, you can also change to pay in your currency of choice (where supported: Patreon's supported currencies), which will help you avoid foreign transaction fees.