SPRAWL MEMBERSHIP FAQ
Why does The Sprawl call them "memberships" and not "subscriptions"?
With a news subscription, you have to pay in order to access a publication's journalism. We do it the other way around. We make our journalism freely available to everyone—no paywalls—and then invite you to be a part of it by signing up as a Sprawl member and pitching in a few dollars a month.
The short and simple answer: email us at email@example.com and we can help you out. We fulfil member requests and reply to emails within five business days. (If you're wondering if we do this while The Sprawl is on pause—yep, we do!)
The longer answer: We have monthly members spread over three crowdfunding platforms we've used over the years: Patreon (2017—), Neon (2019—) and News Revenue Engine/Stripe (2023—). Which one you're on likely depends on when you signed up.
If you're supporting us on Patreon, log into your Patreon account to change or cancel your Sprawl membership.
If you're supporting us on Neon (this is where most of our members are), here's how to change or cancel your membership:
- Log into your Sprawl account. (If this is your first time logging in, click "Having trouble logging in?" to reset your password.)
- Go to "Update Credit Card."
- In the Actions section under Recurring Donation, you can edit the amount of your monthly payment. If you want to cancel your membership, choose "Delete."
If you're supporting us on News Revenue Engine/Stripe, you can cancel your membership by clicking "manage subscriptions" in your most recent email receipt. (Searching "sprawl stripe" in your inbox is an easy way to find the receipt.) If you want to change the amount of a monthly payment on News Revenue Engine/Stripe, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll switch it over to the new amount.
If you run into any trouble with any of this or have questions, email us at email@example.com and we'll help you out.
I want to support The Sprawl but I don’t have a credit card. Can I use any other forms of payment for my membership?
Here are options for supporting The Sprawl without a credit card:
- You can sign up to make a monthly donation on Patreon, which accepts PayPal in addition to credit cards.
- You can make a one-time donation directly through PayPal, which takes many forms of payment.
- You can send an e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail us a cheque at:
PO Box 31040 Bridgeland
Calgary, AB T2E 9A3